Current news from Bethel, Minnesota and beyond, brought to you by the Clarion.
McKenzie Van Loh | News Reporter
- The first outdoor chapel of the year has been cancelled due to weather related issues. Chapel will take place in Benson Great Hall at 10:10 a.m. Campus Ministries still plans to host chapel in non-traditional locations throughout this school year when weather permits.
- Bethel women’s soccer team plays University of Wisconsin-Superior Saturday at 1 p.m. If you can’t make it to the game, watch it here.
- Bethel’s football team plays Concordia College Saturday at 1 p.m. Watch it here.
- An environmental report from Terracon showed no evidence of an enviromental cancer-causing agent. Read the story here.
- The Minneapolis Police Department has begun tracking the ethnicity and demographic of drivers stopped by its officers as well as the reasoning behind the stop, according to the StarTribune. This policy has been put into place to determine the extent of racial profiling in Minneapolis.
- An 1800’s era ship has been located at the bottom of Lake Superior after a six-year search by Ken Merryman, Jerry Elieason, and Kraig Smith. The ship, called “The Antelope” has been resting in mint condition near the Apostle islands since it sank in 1897. Watch the video of the wreckage here.
National and World News
- The Grandma from the Ohio “Heroin” picture has been sentenced to 180 days in jail, according to NBCWashington. Her grandson, the 4-year-old boy in the backseat of the car has been sent to live with his great-aunt and uncle in South Carolina.
- A man has been shot after attacking a NYPD officer with a meat cleaver Thursday, according to CBS News. The man identified as Akram Joudeh remains in critical condition at Bellevue Hospital.